Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Today, Tomorrow, or Yesterday?


This is a page from my Art Journal.  I created it for the ArtJournaling with MichaelStrongStamps Facebook group HERE.  The 2014 date stamps at the top are the Michael Strong stamps that I used on this page.  This is definitely NOT my favorite art journal page that I have ever done, lol.  I'm not normally crazy about pastels, but after initially hating my background, I decided the colors sort of went with the sentiment in mood.  It says, "You pile up enough tomorrows, you'll find you've collected a lot of empty yesterdays."  It's a line from The Music Man, a play that I was in during high school.  (I was a dancer; didn't have a speaking part--so I had all the perks of being in the play without much of the responsibility)!  Both my mom and I had always loved the movie The Music Man, and being in the school musical was a blast.  I feel like I know the script by heart, so as soon as I read this quote, I could see exactly the scene in which it was said.  Ahhh--Marian the librarian and Professor Harold Hill--those were the days....  Now, where was I?  Oh, yes--

I started this page with small squares/rectangles of paper that I adhered with matte medium.  (If you belong to the FB group, this is similar to the video that Herma posted of Vicky Papaioannou's art journal page).  I painted over that layer with pale pink acrylic paint to tone down the colors.  Then I outlined and blended the edges of the paper squares with a big brush marker.  At this point it just looked like a country quilt to me, and I had no idea what I was going to do with it.  I looked through my "bits and pieces for collage" bin and found the girl.  She coordinated nicely with the colors, so I cut her out.  But I still had no idea of which direction I needed to go, so I went to the computer to browse my quote folder.  I was thinking along the lines of something about quilts and family, but when this Music Man quote popped up, I thought it might do.  I knew I had a bunch of calendar stamps and the ideas started flowing.  Back I went to the page which still looked way too quilty, so I pulled out some stencils and some more paint.  I kept the stencil colors pastel because I knew I wanted to stamp the calendar stuff in black.  I used Ranger archival black ink so that it wouldn't smear if/when I used matte medium or another liquid on top of it.  The calendar stamps are all from Close To My Heart.  I think I have every calendar stamp they ever made, and I have never used any of them until now!  I added the butterflies because they made me think of time fluttering away like the empty yesterdays in the quote.  The bricks are made with Viva Stone Effect Paste, and I dabbed white paint on them when the paste dried to make them pop.  I wanted the brick wall to be a bit ambiguous--do you think the girl is going to step out from behind the wall or stay in her comfort zone?

2 comments: